Answered By: Kerry Harmer Last Updated: Sep 15, 2020 Views: 61
Trotec Speedy 400 Laser Cutter
Materials: wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, cardboard, ceramic, lamacoids, glass (no heat resistant glass).Software: Illustrator /
Photoshop File types: .ai, .psd
Machine details: maximum area 24 x 39 inches
Production time: depends on the file type, 1-200 minutes
How to prepare for using this tool
- Create your design in Adobe Illustrator.
- All colours must be:
RGB Red (255, 0, 0) = cutting - stroke .001
RGB Blue (0, 255, 0) = engraving - stroke .5 minimum
RGB Black (0, 0, 0) = etching
For more detailed instruction please read our Laser Cutting Instruction document.
When your design is completed you can submit it at the MRU Library Maker Studio website.
If you have questions about this, please discuss your project with Maker Studio staff before using the tool.
Healthy and Safety
- The laser cutter is a class 2/ class 4 laser. All signs and warnings in the room must be read and adhered to before using the machine.
- You must have a staff member with you at all times while using this machine.
- Users must arrive with a MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the material being cut or etch otherwise the material can’t be used.
- Materials that may cause odours when cut must be removed from the space immediately and it is advisable to bring a bag to seal them in until they can be placed in a well ventilated space (outdoors).
- Maker Studio staff have the right to refuse any material or file deemed unacceptable.
- Time using the laser cutter is limited and academic work is prioritized. Time is booked for projects on an individual basis for one hour.
- The machine has moving parts so long hair should be tied back and jewelery should be removed.